"It's my belief we developed language because of our deep inner need to complain." - Jane Wagner

Monday, December 10, 2007

Missing Magma

It's been interesting watching the frenzy over Jack's Knick commercials/comments etc. Hilarious that people get that worked up over it. Some of the comments are pretty insane. Makes you wonder if people don't have anything real to worry about in their lives.

God knows I do. I made a huge vat of Chili the other night and ate like three pounds of it in one sitting tonight. Now I think I'm hallucinating. It feels like there's a brick in my stomach. This was a huge mistake.

On the music front, I haven't heard anything good lately. Of course everyone and their mother has a Christmas album out. Leave it to Bing, folks. Somehow hearing Death Cab for Cutie play O Come all Ye Faithful or Audio Bullys banging out "The Little Drummer Boy" just isn't doing it for me. Not that I don't like a good Christmas album, because I do. My recommendation: The Clancy Brothers Christmas. Listen to it once and you will learn all about the story of baby Jesus and how to get shitfaced on Christmas.

Oh yeah, and why didn't anyone tell me Chad Magma was playing in New York! They played the Rub Room last Wednesday and I heard it was off the charts. My buddy Meathook was there- he recorded them playing "Simmering Sands" on his phone.

As you probably know, le Magma hasn't played in NY since '99. And now they make an already legendary appearance and I miss it. I can't believe it! I'm inconsolable.

You'd think Uncensored Interview could get a soundbite or two from the "Ultimate Under the Radar Band of All Time" (as they were dubbed in Vibrations Magazine.) C'mon guys! Get me an interview!

More later, I have to go throw up.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

ok, mickey, just for you, we'll do our best to capture the Magma ;-)
http://www.uncensoredinterview.com

Anonymous said...

who the hell is magma?

mickey c said...

Who the hell is Chad Magma? You might as well ask who the hell is Rogelio De San Francisco!

johnbourbon said...

jimsetta and i were really hoping to hear 'blow the shofar' (it was after all our wedding song). sadly, we were disappointed...
a note on simmering sands - during the bridge magma pulled out an old tannerin that he claimed was used on pet sounds. i didn't really believe him though because he's always been slightly full of shit that way. either way, it made for good theater; more so even than his victorious 'salute to the scimitar' finale.

mickey c said...

JohnBourbon- dude were you at the "I Bounced the Sound Check" shows at the Loisiada Avenue C festival in '98? You were the guy with the pudding shots, right?

johnbourbon said...

pudding shots! totally! given the neighborhood and social climate, we came to be known as the 'gelatin kings'.

Anonymous said...

Recently released Chad Magma tour dates: Feb 8: The Mutton House, Bergenfield, New Jersey; March 11: Stu's, Boone, Iowa; April 22: Rank's Feed and Fowl, San Berdu, Ca.