"It's my belief we developed language because of our deep inner need to complain." - Jane Wagner

Monday, November 19, 2007

Musipontification

I know I'm supposed to write about Ecuador and the Patriots, but that will have to wait until next time. I was checking out Uncensoredinterview.com tonight and watching these indie rockers wax philisophic about politics and love and roofies and shit. Hilarious stuff.

As I was watching them pontificate, I thought, what is it that makes musicians so....I dont know. Full of it? Assured, while at the same time being simply ridiculous? Stylishing confident but at the same time kind of lost?

Maybe it's because when they get on stage people almost worship them, move when they tell them to move, do what they tell them to do. So they become a little pedantic. Maybe it's because they're artists, and artists by definition express themselves. So when they talk, their artistic side comes out unedited. Maybe it's because they're completely baked. Either way, it makes for some very funny stuff.

Different musicians are different; I get that. Put a cello player, a rapper and a vegan folk singer in a room and ask them a question and you'll get three different answers. You'll also get someboyd's ass kicked. And don't automatically think it's the Cello player, because they can be totally hardcore. And vegans are frankly dangerous, so I wouldn't bet against them either. But whatever happens you know you'll get some real opinions, a performance with each answer. And it will be a crapshoot as to whether you get something totally inspired or easily mockable. Either way though, it will be entertaining.



Watching those interviews reminds me that there is more to the indie music scene than just downloading songs and going to shows at HP Dog House or the Rainbucket. That these are weird artists who have strange and strong opinions and don't give a damn what anyone thinks. Which is pretty cool. Unless their opinions are really stupid. Which they usually are.

Uncensored reminds me of some of my favorite musician's quotes:

"The thing I remember most about America is that it's silly. That can be quite a relief at times."- Thom Yorke

"Dogs smoke in France."- Ozzy

"We're bigger than Jesus." -John Lennon.

“Don't do drugs, don't have unprotected sex, don't be violent... leave that to me”- Eminem

"I tried to give up drugs by drinking." - Lou Reed

"I don't know anything about music. In my line, you don't have to." - Elvis Pressley

Back to more serious topics in the next blog. Like why Styx should be the national band of Ecuador and why Jessica Simpson will be the next Meryl Streep.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I find that most musicians don't know squat about politics. They should stick to music and if pressed sing about it. But to talk about it, is just danger zone. Yes, Bono needs to stick his ipod commercials.

Anonymous said...

At a recent U2 concert in Glasgow, Scotland Bono asked the audience for total quiet. Then, in the silence, he started to slowly clap his hands,
once every few seconds. Holding the audience in total silence, he said into the microphone, "Every time I clap my hands, a child in Africa dies."


A voice from the front of the crowd pierced the quiet. . .


"Well, fookin' stop doin it then, ya basturd!"

Anonymous said...

now his fans are the smart ones

Anonymous said...

i think most people in general don't know dick about politics. everyone's got their ideas or soapbox .. blah, blah..but with the bono thing fame can bring awareness to issues others might not be in-tune to.

so.. the question becomes: should famous individuals serve as representatives for awareness of political causes or should they just shut the fuck up?

i liked this video from 'beat radio' http://www.uncensoredinterview.com/2508